Had a bit of an incident at about 11:30pm last night- my wife knocked the cooker and somehow switched on the hob.  This caused a shallow frying pan to over heat, and the oil in it ignited.  This in turn set fire to a plastic saucepan handle.   When the fire alarm went off I rushed down stairs (everyone was in bed or going, or reading blogs), and ran into the kitchen. I turned off the hob, soaked a towel, throwing it over the flaming fat, and managing to cover the plastic handle at the same time.  I then opened the kitchen window.  I was in the kitchen for about 30 seconds to a minute.

I then called the Fire Brigade (despite my wife saying “why are you doing it that if it’s out”.)  They checked everything out and called a paramedic for me because of the smoke inhalation.  While waiting they put me on oxygen, partly because I was coughing (due to the acrid plastic smoke).

The paramedic checked my O2 level in my blood, and then took me up the hospital.  They checked my heart rate, and blood pressure which was 170 over 130!  They were a little concerned.  20 minutes later this had dropped, but was still high.  Because it was smoke inhalation I was put on pure oxygen for an over an hour.  Another blood pressure test was more normal (high end of acceptable), and a blood test (“This will hurt”, “I give blood”, “This will hurt”.  It did- turns out taking blood from an artery is a bit more hit and miss than taking it from a vein) showed no carbon monoxide.

I returned home (at 3 in the morning) wide awake, but with a sore throat!  House smells and the toaster has been condemned by the Fire Brigade (was close to the fire), along with the two pans in question (traitors).  They apparently have conducted a risk assessment (classing my 12 year old as a ‘Hazard’, much to his amusement), giving advice, and put up a couple of new smoke alarms.

Advertisements